WHERE: Burning Man office/San Francisco
BY WHEN: Submit resume and cover letter by Sunday, January 22nd, through this link.
Are you a veteran of the world of public relations and a proud citizen of Black Rock City? Have you longed for a PR role that lets you apply your communications chops and management expertise to something you’re passionate about – something just like Burning Man?
Your dream could be a reality! Due to internal evolution and growth on our existing team, we are seeking an experienced Public Relations Manager to join the leadership of Burning Man’s Communications Department.
This is a strategic, year-round, San Francisco-based role that will serve as the glue amongst the other communications staffers for the organization.
The candidate will oversee the execution of Burning Man’s external communications strategies and provide budgetary, staff, and administrative oversight for Communications-related teams and programs, including:
* Print Production
* Public Relations/Media Operations/Social Media
* Intellectual Property Enforcement
* Print Press, Online Press, Film/Video, and Academic Archives
* Burning Man Information Radio
* The Black Rock City Census
The PR Manager will also collaborate with the Government Relations leadership team to support activities engaging with community organizations, governmental collaborators, and other key entities in Nevada.
The PR Manager role will have support from the vast volunteer team as well as existing communications team members within the organization.
Other duties include management of the Media Mecca process and other volunteer teams leading up to, during and after the Burning Man event. Candidates must be prepared to perform full-time, active daily duties in the desert during the Burning Man event. This includes camping with and providing supervisory support for the Media Mecca leadership team as well as other relevant staff and volunteers.
During the rest of the year, the PR Manager maintains relevant media, press, and academic relationships, and creates and advances Public Relations content and campaigns using tools such as the Jack Rabbit Speaks, Burning Blog, Facebook/Twitter/other social networks, Burningman.com, and print materials, and other public-facing communications channels.
* 5-7yrs of experience in Communications, Public Relations, and/or Media industries, ideally including aspects of intellectual property law, contract law, the media/entertainment industries, festival/event production, and/or any combination thereof.
* 3-5yrs of experience in management, including knowledge of reading financials, developing budgets, and human resources/personnel management.
* Excellent communication chops, including strong writing, copy editing, and interpersonal communications skills.
* High level of exposure to and comprehension of the Internet and related technologies.
* Understanding and support of core Burning Man philosophies, in order to effectively uphold policies related to the maintenance of these philosophies.
* At least 3-5yrs participating in Burning Man, preferably at some volunteer level or other exposure to its organizational infrastructure.
* Ability to multitask, and be flexible and adaptable about numerous and frequently dynamic sets of priorities. Self-motivated. Able to effectively delegate responsibilities and negotiate effectively.
* Dedication to organizational, legal, and interpersonal confidentiality in all applicable matters.
* BA or equivalent in fields relating to Communications, Writing/Journalism, Media/Public Relations, or related fields.
* Experience speaking as a liaison to the Press.
* Experience supporting at a managerial level within a business organization.
If you’re ready to put your hard-won skills and expertise to work for your community, we want to meet you! Submit resume and cover letter by Sunday, January 22nd, using this link.
This is a full-time, regular position eligible for benefits in our San Francisco office.