The Memorial for Larry Harvey Was Put to the Torch


Just a couple of pictures for now; a full story will come at a later date, but suffice it to say that the ceremony was beautiful, sad, poignant, tender and powerful.


About the author: John Curley

John Curley (that's me) has been Burning since the relatively late date of 2004, and in 2008 I spent the better part of a month on the playa, documenting the building and burning of Black Rock City in words and pictures. I loved it, and I've been doing it ever since. I was a newspaper person in a previous life, and I spent many years at the San Francisco Chronicle. At the time I left, in 2007, I was the deputy managing editor in charge of Page One and the news sections of the paper. Since then, I've turned a passion for photography into a second career. I shoot for editorial, commercial and private clients. I've also taught a little bit, including two years at UC Berkeley's Graduate School of Journalism and a year at San Francisco State University. I live on the San Mateo coast, just south of San Francisco in California.

8 Comments on “The Memorial for Larry Harvey Was Put to the Torch

  • Lilly says:

    Ii sucks so bad that he died. I never got a selfie with him.

    Report comment

  • Zark says:

    Larry Harvey made such a difference in my life. Step back and just think about how many lives he changed and made better. How many eyes and hearts he opened. how many brains he made work better, more eloquently, more inquisitively. He was a giant among men. Forever indebted and grateful for what you gave me and us Larry. Love forever.

    Report comment

  • Santa says:

    How many more memorials is Larry going to have? I missed this one and all 50 of the other ones. I just want a chance to cry in front of others.

    I’m spiritual but not religious. I’m in good shape and have a good job. Not balding and under 35. PM me.

    Report comment

  • Mary says:

    Is it true that Larry came back to life on the 3rd day?

    Report comment

    • Ranger C says:

      That is a complete lie, and people should not be spreading it. I’m worked for BMorg for 20 years and I was a very close friend of Larry’s. What actually happened was on the second night – his body was on a cloth and all his closest friends were around him. We all saw it with our own eyes: His body levitated 1 foot in the air for exactly 33 seconds.

      Report comment

  • Mitzi says:

    i was so sorry to miss this — the Black Rock Beacon said it was burning on friday evening, and i had something to add to the memorial, but it apparently burned earlier in the week, so not only did i not get to add my memento, i didn’t get to see anyone else’s contributions, either. i had to be content with putting my memento in the Temple, next to a photo someone else posted of Larry.

    Report comment

  • Richard Elsberry says:

    Love this post. Hope more pics come soon.

    Report comment

  • Comments are closed.