WANTED: Participant Videos on Playa Preparation and Participation!
DEADLINE: JULY 15, 2011
Calling all filmmakers and benevolent Burners! We want YOUR video submissions to share as part of the 2nd Annual Burning Man Video Acculturation Series, designed to help new Burners prepare for their first playa experience!
The theme for 2011 is PREPARATION & PARTICIPATION!
Help a newbie prepare for the playa this year by sharing videos about your hard-won wisdom! If you’ve got a film already-Great. Email the link to email@example.com.
If you are inspired but still looking for video ideas, visit the Preparation Section of the Burning Man website and take a look at the link list on the right. There you’ll find topics to get your creative juices flowing. Here are some examples that could serve as a inspiration for your video:
The Survival Guide, Participant Responsibilities, Culture in Black Rock City, Radical Self Reliance, Your Body vs. The Elements, Protecting the Environment, Safety, Community, Bikes, Communal Kitchens, Grey Water Disposal, Relationship Survival Guide, Kids at Burning Man, Post-Playa Tips, RV’s, Securing your Structure, Water, Weather, Health & Safety, Pregnant on the Playa, Sober on the Playa, Fuel and Hazmat Storage, Costumes and Makeup, and Camping Gear.
Do you think you have the secret to the best Burning Man experience? Can you share ideas that will help someone dive right in to life in Black Rock City? What were things you wish somebody had told YOU before your first time?
Check out the Participate section of the Burning Man website — you’ll see it’s all about gifting your time and energy to the rest of the community. So videos on these topics could include:
Gifting Ideas, Bike Decor, Playa as Performance, Making a Welcoming Camp, How to be a Good Neighbor, Black Rock City Etiquette, Top 10 Must Do’s, Ideas for Group Art Projects, How to Make your Theme Camp more Interactive, What to Expect, Playa Memories, Ten Principles, Effective On-Playa Communication, Civic Responsibilities, and much, much more!
A panel of participant/judges will help select the best and brightest submissions for the 2nd Annual Burning Man Video Acculturation Series. To get a sense of what we’re looking for, here were the top videos from 2010. Winning videos will be featured and shared broadly to help acculturate brand new participants – and to help illustrate how to prepare for the playa, and participate! The top video submissions for Round 1 (Deadline July 15, 2011) will receive:
+ Promotion on the Burning Man Website, Jack Rabbit Speaks, Facebook Page and Twitter feed;
+ inclusion in new Burning Man Media Gallery;
+ possible posting of video in the Preparation/Participation sections of the website;
+ possible inclusion in future film festivals, gift DVD’s, etc.;
+ and a chance to collaborate on future projects!
Acculturation Video Series Requirements:
– Videos must be under 5 minutes.
– Videos must be posted on Youtube, Vimeo, BlipTV, Flickr, or another free video hosting platform that allows embedding and linking. Please do NOT email actual video files – host them elsewhere and share the link instead.
– All content in the video must be yours OR you must have written permission to use it.
– Please credit all performers and artists (either in the video or on your webpage or in your email to us).
– You must have permission from ALL featured individuals to use their image in your piece. (NOTE: Please be aware of participant privacy, as you would for any public video shot at the event. If you shot video with a personal use registration tag, it’s okay to use that footage for this project, but if your friends or campmates are recognizable in the video, it’s policy — and really, good etiquette — for you to let them know you now plan to share the footage with a much wider audience than your own friends and family. If you can’t manage to contact recognizable individuals in your shots, use other footage instead).
– By posting and submitting your film/video for this Video Call, you agree to let Burning Man share (and possibly excerpt or remix) your work for “Burning Man related projects.”
– All submissions must be sent to cameratales(at)burningman(dot)com with a working URL link and a credit list by July 15, 2011 to be eligible for the first round review.
Winning submissions for Round 1 will be announced before Burning Man 2011.