As Burners, some like to wish each other a happy new year when the Man burns at the end of our annual Burn Week. This sense of closure and new beginnings often kicks off new friendships, dreams, and collaborations. Wherever and however you participated in Burn Week this year — virtually, in the desert, or with your home community — you may be looking for ways to keep the fire burning and stay in touch, learn more, or meet new people.
In spring 2021, we launched a pilot project to spark conversations and projects around four topic areas: sustainability, Radical Inclusion, diversity, and equity (R.I.D.E.), health and safety, and leadership and participation. We invited folks to join groups, converse, and collaborate in our new community space — Burning Man Hive.
And yes — YOU are invited to bring your ideas, thoughts, projects, and topics into Hive: join a conversation; follow a course; propose an idea; start a collaboration; create an event; or start your very own Hive group.
To join Hive, go to hive.burningman.org and log in with your Burner Profile username and password (if you don’t have a Burner Profile yet, you can create one here).
The Hive pilot project this spring was nothing short of Burning Man magic. Participants sparked myriad conversations that evolved into new groups, courses, and topics. You can read a handful of stories from Hive participants in this Journal post.
We’ve added just a few examples of Hive groups and projects YOU can participate in. New to Hive? Start here.
Upcoming Live Events in Hive:
- Monthly Honey Lounge: a space to present, learn and cross-pollinate ideas
- Premier: October 14th, 5-6pm PT
- Next: November 17th, 11-12pm PT
- Weekly on Tuesday: Whirling Sands book club
- Weekly on Wednesday: Renewables for Artists Team weekly meeting
- Coming soon:
- Monthly R.I.D.E. chat: courageous conversations on different topics, open to everyone
- R.I.D.E. Stress Test workshops
Examples of Topics to Explore in Hive:
- Environmental Sustainability, check out the new Leave No Trace Cooking Show
- This One Time At Burning Man, check out members sharing their favorite song as they drive onto playa
Hive Learning Experiences (Courses) Available to You 24/7:
- Renewables for Artists Team (RAT) Presents Solar Power 101: fundamentals of solar power systems for artists, Theme Camp leads, or anyone who is solar-curious.
- Global Activation in the Burnersphere: a series of community conversations focused on Art, Civics, Community, Ecosystems, Events, and Grants.
- Burning Man Art: History, Place, Context
- Skills building on Radical Inclusion, Diversity, & Equity (R.I.D.E.) specific to Burning Man culture:
Examples of Hive Groups to Participate in:
- Multicultural PoC Neighborhood: a self-organizing community committed to co-creating a global multicultural POC neighborhood in Black Rock City
- Wellness: empowering and engaging our community through health and wellness
- The Great Giveback Challenge: a coalition adopting service projects on the Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation
Wherever you are burning brightly, we hope you’ll join us on Burning Man Hive to connect with fellow Burners, to learn what others are up to, and share your lessons learned. It’s also an awesome place to find collaborators or mentors for projects!
Cover image of “The Pollinator,” 2019 (Photo by Clara Milo)